As a small child I would watch my Italian nona almost daily making pasta, pounding dough balls by hand and forming them into the most delicious meals. Occasionally, I would lend a hand trying to work the same magic with my tiny fingers.
I was learning from the master and matriach.
These lessons definitely came in handy now that I own my own Italian restaurant where making pasta is a daily task.
Though times have certainly changed, with the many options of fresh & dry pastas at your local grocers, you may wonder why you would want to put forth the effort (and get your kitchen dirty) to making pasta on your own.
The answer is because there is nothing like the taste, texture and satisfaction of a delicate pasta that was just rolled by hand.
Fresh pasta is just delicious: plain & simple.
Making pasta is also a simple process, that only takes 3 ingredients!
PASTA DOUGH RECIPE
3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Cup Semolina
Put flour, semolina and 4 eggs in a mixer with a dough hook. Blend for 6 minutes, adding the remaining 2 eggs as you go. Do not overmix dough. Transfer dough ball to a covered bowl and use as needed.
MAKING PASTA: FRESH PAPPARDELLE
1. Flatten dough with a rolling pin.
2. Put pasta in a dough machine and flatten as specified in machine directions.
3. Generously flour your pasta.
4. Roll pasta & cut in 3/4″ strips.
5. Lay pasta flat to slightly dry (about 1 hour). If you overdry your pasta it will be brittle.
6. Form pasta in haystacks and store uncovered in refrigerator. Use as needed.
Top your pasta with your favorite homemade Italian pasta sauce. For pasta ideas see the food network website.
(See other goals on the Bucket List for Foodies).