Let me start with admitting that I know close to nothing about comic books, zombies or science fiction. I really couldn’t tell you the difference between Star Trek and Star Wars, and the last comic book I read was Archie in 1982.
“Then why would you go to Comicon, a comic book convention?” you inquire.
“Hello. I’m Annette, the girl who thrives on having new experiences. Have we met?”
About Phoenix Comicon Convention
Phoenix Comicon is the signature pop-culture event of the Southwest that attracts lovers of comics, anime, media and gaming.
Though I had overheard the rumors surrounding this well-attended event, I still had to experience it for myself. The proof is in the pudding.
What I had heard about this pudding was true; risque costumes, bondage-style masks and colored body paint galore.
Since I was in my street clothes and not dressed as Elektra, I was happy for the security of my media pass badge hanging around my neck. A justification for my presence there. And by being there I learned a few things:
1. Black face masks should not only be reserved for the sado masochistic bedroom behavior. It is perfectly appropriate attire at Comicon. Move over Mr. Grey.
2. When all else fails, wear a cape. Not only will it be helpful when gliding in between buildings, but you will also feel like the ultimate superhero.
3. Body paint is perfectly acceptable, as long as you don’t wash your hands after using the restroom.
4. Hot boys do like comic books.
5. If you are continuously hungry you may as well just carry a dining table with you at all times. Brilliant.
6. Red skin with blue hair is an appealing fashion combination. Green hair and a large black dot on your belly? Not so much.
7. Not all bunnies are soft, sweet and cute. Stay far away from the bloody ones carrying cleavers, especially when they are talking to wicked clowns.
8. Stilts are more than just for the circus.
9. Generally, the less you wear the more attention you will receive, unless you are dressed in stringy camouflage and carrying a weapon.
Have you been to Comicon before? Are you a comic book, anime or science fiction fan?
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through my links, I earn a commission that helps to keep this blog running—at no extra cost to you. For more information read my full disclosure.
More About Arizona
A Guide to Visiting Goldfield Ghost Town in Arizona
Take a Helicopter Ride Into the Grand Canyon
Getting Bit By An Ostrich Bird. Not on the Bucket List.
The Cutest Town in Arizona: Jerome
Get Closer to Heaven at the Sedona Chapel of the Holy Cross
What to do in Scottsdale, Arizona in 12 Hours
A Unique Arizona Attraction: Mystery Castle in Phoenix
Visit Louis Lee’s Oriental Rock Garden in Phoenix