Drink From a Water Fountain in Zurich, Switzerland

Zurich, Switzerland is one of the cleanest cities I have ever been to, as well as one of the most expensive. So, on one hand it did not surprise me that you could drink the water straight from the hundreds of beautiful water fountains scattered throughout this enchanting town.

Though on the flip side, it was completely shocking that the potable fountain water was free. Especially when a venti vanilla latte will run you a whopping eight bucks.
Zurich, Switzerland Water Fountains

There are over 1200 unique fountains located around Zurich, most of which spew drinkable water 24 hours a day.

Though I would never be able to sip from all of them in my limited time in Switzerland, I did want to quench my thirst at a few.
Zurich, Switzerland Water FountainsZurich, Switzerland Water Fountains

My Zurich fountain introduction began with a ‘Stories of the Old Town’ tour, which I found was half price when using the discount ZurichCARD. Bonus.

We were guided through the cobbled streets of the town, learning about its rich history and then to a tree-filled park overlooking the city. Of course, a distinct feature of this park was a large concrete fountain.
Zurich Water Fountains
Zurich Water Fountains

Here, the tour guide gave each of us a paper cup to fill with the flowing water. Drink up. It tasted fresh and clean, minus the mineral taste that is present in some ‘filtered’ waters.

It was so good, as far as water goes, that I filled my glass a second time.
Zurich, Switzerland Water Fountains

After this experience, I went searching for fountains. And they weren’t hard to find.

They could be spotted in quaint piazzas, while traveling along busy streets and near popular attractions. Each one was unique, a work of art in their own way.

Zurich Water FountainsZurich, Switzerland Water Fountains

It is comforting to know that you won’t go thirsty while in Zurich. Though next time I am traveling in Zurich I will remember to bring a water bottle.

Now if they can just figure out a system like this for chocolate.

Is drinking from a water fountain in Zurich, Switzerland on your bucket list?

Related & Helpful Resources

Zurich Bucket List: 15 Things to Do

Take a Cogwheel Train to the Swiss Alps. Jungfraujoch, Switzerland.

Eat Traditional Fondue in Switzerland

Geneva Bucket List: 15 Things to Do in Switzerland’s Second Largest City

2017-05-21T16:15:47+00:00 March 19th, 2014|Categories: Europe, FOOD, Switzerland, TRAVEL|Tags: , , |

1. Irene March 20, 2014 at 8:10 am - Reply

I love to read your posts. I am living vicariously thru you….LOL

2. Michelle March 20, 2014 at 3:12 pm - Reply

I was in Zurich once and loved it (although that city is super expensive!!), but I never noticed the water fountains! I have a friend who currently lives there, so planning on going there in a few weeks…will def keep an eye out for them!

• Annette White March 20, 2014 at 4:26 pm - Reply

Once you start looking out for them, you will see them EVERYWHERE! Have fun 🙂

3. I went to Zermatt and was just blown away by its beauty. I’d love to return to Switzerland someday, and check out Zurich!

• Annette White March 20, 2014 at 7:27 pm - Reply

After going to (& loving) Zurich, I have vowed to explore the rest of Switzerland.

4. Jen March 21, 2014 at 12:01 am - Reply

My tour guide in Zurich showed us the same thing. I wonder if you had the same guide? There are heaps of cities across Europe where you can drink from the water fountains. One of the most memorable for me was in the Amalfi coast town of Amalfi. There is a beautiful big water fountain just in the square up from the beach. There were so many people crowded around helping themselves to water.

• Annette White March 21, 2014 at 1:24 pm - Reply

I will have to pay attention while traveling through Europe so I can spot more of these fountains. The one in Amalfi sounds AMAZING!

5. Justyna in travel March 22, 2014 at 1:35 pm - Reply

Even if this city is considered as one of the cleanest in the world, I would be suspicious of the water from the fountains 😉

6. The Yum List March 23, 2014 at 5:55 pm - Reply

What a contrast – free water compared to an 8 buck latte! Sometime in the not too distant future however, I bet the price of one of our most precious resources will soar.

• Annette White March 23, 2014 at 8:16 pm - Reply

You actually foresee the price of lattes going up? 😉

7. TOHOTA March 28, 2014 at 1:53 am - Reply

The city is also listed in the top ten best destinations to visit in the world by Lonely Planet Travel Guide.

8. Hamish Healys April 2, 2014 at 5:36 am - Reply

Zurich, Switzerland. Unless I’m mistaken, it’s always been in the top 5 cleanest cities in the world. Thirsty from sight-seeing? Drink water from their fountains, in the parks, plazas and even churchyards. It’s ok.

• Annette White April 2, 2014 at 5:38 pm - Reply

That wouldn’t surprise me if Zurich did rank one of the top 5 cleanest!

9. Erika April 3, 2014 at 6:33 pm - Reply

Wow! I did not know that this was a thing in Zurich! But I can imagine that they would have really pure-tasting water! If I ever go back again (and boy, do I want to go back), I am definitely trying this! 🙂

• Annette White April 4, 2014 at 11:39 am - Reply

It surely didn’t completely surprise me that you could do this in Zurich!

10. Joe Root August 21, 2015 at 1:18 pm - Reply

I love to read your posts.

11. […] Read > Drink From a Water Fountain in Zurich, Switzerland […]

12. […] time in this Swiss city. With it’s friendly people, traditional gooey fondue and eclectic water fountains, it is easily one of my favorites, even when I don’t step out of the hotel. Plus, taking the […]