Put a Love Lock on Pont des Arts Bridge in Paris

In the beautiful Italian region of Cinque Terre, Peter and I strolled the Via Dell’Amore, also know as Lover’s Walk. Along this romantic seaside path there were padlocks attached to the chain linked fences, a place where couples could bring their own locks to secure their love. I didn’t have a padlock at the time, so we did not lock our love in Italy.

That wasn’t going to happen in Paris.
pont de arts bridge in Paris

The Paris Pont des Arts bridge, near the Louvre, has love locks too. Thousands of them. Many more than I ever saw along the Via Dell’Amore trail.

Apparently, everyone wants to lock their love in one of the most romantic cities in the world. Me too.
pont de arts bridge love locks in Paris

We bought a small gold lock, which had three keys attached, for five euros from a brilliant vendor who stood at one end of the bridge. The merchant even supplied a selection of colored markers to write our tender message with.

I penned a simple Pete ❤️ Annette. Pretty standard stuff. That’s about as romantic as we get.
pont de arts bridge love lock

There were clusters of locks clipped to almost ever nook on the Pont des Arts bridge, which made it hard to find the perfect location to secure our devotion.

After pacing up and down the bridge a few times, I ended up selecting a spot that was not on the chain portion of the fence, instead it was attached to another padlock, so it perfectly dangled.
pont de arts love lock bridge

We then threw our 3 keys that came with the lock into the Seine river, so the lock could never be reopened, securing the love forever.

I double checked Pete’s hands to make sure he actually tossed the key into the water and didn’t stick it in his back pocket.

Our love is now officially locked. At least in Paris.

Bucket List Itinerary: 12 Hours in Lyon, France
See the Carrières de Lumières Art Show in the South of France
23 South of France Photos to Inspire Your Bucket List
Take a Christmas Market Cruise Along the Rhine River
Attend Mass at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, France
Learn the Art of Making French Macarons in Paris
Get Spooked at the Catacombs in Paris
23 MUST DO Experiences For Your Couples Bucket List

2017-03-09T20:40:50+00:00 December 19th, 2013|Categories: Europe, France, TRAVEL|Tags: |

1. Christine December 19, 2013 at 3:46 pm - Reply

I love these bridges! My friend did this in Italy as well. It’s such a beautiful, romantic idea 🙂 Love the lock too!

• Annette White December 20, 2013 at 3:09 pm - Reply

Bridges like these are popping up all over. Maybe it should be on my bucket list to leave a lock on every one of them 🙂

2. THIS is what I need to do next time I’m in Paris 🙂 My fiancee has never been to Europe, I want to bring him!

3. Mike | Earthdrifter December 20, 2013 at 11:38 pm - Reply

I was in Paris for a few days. The photo of the bridge and architecture reminds how impressed I was.

• Annette White December 21, 2013 at 2:04 am - Reply

It was my first time in Paris and I definitely was in awe of the architecture. So beautiful!

4. Jonathan Look, Jr. December 21, 2013 at 3:03 am - Reply

I have seen this bridge! Beautiful and quite romantic. Unfortunately I was there alone. MAYBE one day I can travel back there with a special someone!

5. Zalika December 23, 2013 at 10:11 am - Reply

This is so cute!

6. Jorja Alcorn December 26, 2013 at 6:21 am - Reply

Paris is first on my bucket list on 2014. Will surely get to lock ours too. Cool place!

7. […] a yummy macaron cookie, for putting on a super sexy show at the Moulin Rouge, for allowing me to lock my love on the Pont des Arts bridge and for officially turning me into a lover of the prix fixe […]

8. `Kerry July 19, 2014 at 9:32 pm - Reply

This is definitely on my list. Just need to find the right person first. 🙂

9. Royce August 25, 2015 at 2:28 pm - Reply

This is actually vandalism and is enforced by the Paris authorities. If you wouldn’t spray paint the bridge, don’t leave a padlock on it. It’s destructive to the property and is encouraging expansion of this practice to monuments like the Eiffel tower. The local authorities have already boarded off the Pont des Arts area because the locks are causing structural problems for the bridge.

Just remember etiquette when you’re a guest in another country/city. Vandalism is not courteous, nor is it romantic.http://www.citymetric.com/horizons/paris-has-replaced-padlocks-pont-des-arts-padlock-themed-graffiti-1113