Stand Behind Niagara Falls on the Canada Side

Standing under a waterfall is what is actually on my bucket list, not standing behind one. But, the original goal probably would not be the wisest choice when we are talking about the mighty Niagara Falls. Standing behind it would surely be a much safer option.

Niagara Falls is a set of three powerful waterfalls, located between Ontario and New York, that gushes 34 million gallons of water per minute. I definitely don’t want to get sucked into that.
Niagara Falls Canada side

Though you can see the waterfall perfectly well from New York, on the Canadian side you can get a spectacular glimpse of this forceful wonder by just a simple walk along a paved path. You can also stand right next to the waterfall by taking the Journey Behind the Falls tour. This excursion will get you up close and personal with one of America’s most captivating attractions.

We arrived and were given a plastic, yellow rain poncho to use as water protection. And though it had limited fashion sense, I am grateful to have put it on, even if I looked like a latex duck. Niagara Falls Yellow Jacket

We descended 150 feet in an elevator which led us to an outdoor observation deck where it was as if we had just entered a monsoon. The water from the 167 foot Horseshoe Falls pelted us, then subsided, then pelted us all over again. Did we just pay money for this?

In between shielding the waterworks, we were able to take note of exactly how close to Niagara Falls we actually were. The power was even more undeniable with only a few feet between us.
Niagara Falls Canada Side Niagara Falls Canada Side

There were also two portals to be visited on this self-guided tour. A crowded tunnel leads you to each and gives you a quick peak right behind the falls.

As the line of tourists grew behind me, I felt pressure to take it all in and take photos…very quickly.

The massive amounts of people were worth pushing our way through for a glimpse of the water that was forcefully pouring down about a dozen feet in front of us.
Behind Niagara Falls Canada SideAnnette White at Niagara Falls

We walked back through the dark tunnel soaked everywhere that the canary jacket did not cover. It wasn’t “standing under a waterfall”, but it was totally bucket list worthy.

2017-03-09T23:31:40+00:00 October 7th, 2013|Categories: Canada, North America, TRAVEL|Tags: |

1. Renuka October 8, 2013 at 6:40 am - Reply

It is awesome!!!

2. Andrea October 8, 2013 at 12:38 pm - Reply

Powerful waterfalls are so amazing!

3. Heather October 8, 2013 at 12:49 pm - Reply

I want to go back to the falls and introduce Gav to the various ways you can experience them 🙂 I’ve only been to the Canadian side, so I want to include the American side next time.

4. The Yum List October 8, 2013 at 4:50 pm - Reply

That’s on my list too!

• Annette White October 9, 2013 at 1:33 am - Reply

I had been to Niagara Falls once before and hardly anything makes my bucket list twice, but this did!

5. estherjulee October 9, 2013 at 8:54 pm - Reply

i’ve always wanted to do this too! 🙂 haha i can’t imagine surviving standing under a water fall this size.. but maybe something smaller!

6. Raymond Waruhari October 10, 2013 at 6:49 am - Reply

It mus be an awesome experience.

7. Chris October 15, 2013 at 8:37 am - Reply

I’d imagine all that water falling down is quite loud as well. Am amazing experience to say the least.

8. Heather October 19, 2013 at 6:42 pm - Reply

This is on my list too! I grew up on the East Coast and am sad to say I’ve never been to the Falls. Hope to change that soon!

• Annette White October 20, 2013 at 2:31 pm - Reply

I suffer from “taking for granted what’s in my own backyard” syndrome too! The falls are amazingly powerful, so I hope you make it there one day.

9. Courtney O. Hanson November 5, 2013 at 2:32 am - Reply

There are higher waterfalls than Niagara Falls, sure. But the width and incredible volume of the waterfall that straddles the border of Canada and the US is a bucket-list-worthy sight to behold. And when it comes to actually doing that beholding, there are almost as many options for travelers as there are gallons of rushing water careening over the cliffs.

10. […] thanks Canada for letting me stand right behind Niagara Falls and feel the mist from the gushing water. And a dozen thank yous to New York for allowing me […]

11. […] is this spectacular collection of 275 waterfalls. Covering two miles of the Iguassu River, it puts Niagara Falls to shame at four times the width. It remains a popular tourist destination, known as one of the […]