Go Glamping in the Center of Africa’s Serengeti

I am not a camper. There, I said it. Call me high-maintenance, but there is nothing fun about pitching a tent, sleeping on the floor and peeing in the bushes. Besides, I can easily make s’mores on the gas burner of my stove at home. So, when I heard we would be sleeping in tents in Serengeti while on an African safari, I was not thrilled. But, what I didn’t know was that we would be Glamping, a luxury sort of camping that doesn’t require me to squat in the wilderness.

Happy camper.
Glamping Serengeti

After a long, dusty day on safari in Tanzania’s Serengeti National Park, we were all just looking forward to a warm bed, decent food and a hot shower. On that particular evening the Shadows of Africa tour team, booked us at Osupuko Camps for a luxury camping experience. It is miles away from any other camps, out in the wilderness where the wildlife run…wild.

Glamping better include safety barriers.

Glamping Serengeti

We drove down nameless dirt roads for miles until there was a sign that this lodging actually existed, glimmering lights. How the driver found it in this remote location was beyond me.

The camp had ten boarding tents, plus one for dining and a kitchen one too. These tents were not your typical popups, they were large, standup versions made of heavy canvas. My individual one had two full size beds, a shower, sink and flushing toilet. This is my kind of camping.
Glamping Serengeti Tent

We were each given a flashlight, or a torch as they called it, for getting the attention of an assistant to walk you to and from the tent at night.

You wouldn’t want to get eaten by any hungry critters out there.

After getting settled in, and just before dinner, a group of glampers sat around the fire sipping cocktails. Yep. They have a pretty well stocked bar too. Glamping is good. As we drank, the shining eyes of gazelles could be seen in faraway bushes, not daring to come too close, but a reminder that we were still on safari.
Glamping Serengeti Beer Glamping Serengeti

Dinner was served at 7:30 and there was no need to spend time lighting a grill, marinating the meat or setting the table. It is all done for you, as if we were dining at a restaurant with a set menu. The meal was steak, rice and a vegetable.

And though it wasn’t five-star dining, it wasn’t burnt hot dogs either and I didn’t have to do a thing to prepare it. Bonus.

Glamping Serengeti Dinner

Showers had to be scheduled, if you actually wanted a hot one, which I did. In order to properly execute a warm shower, one of the staff had to hoist hot water above your tent and pour it so it flows down into the shower head, until you tell him to stop. Yes. A bit archaic.

But, did I mention there was a HOT shower while camping?

Tucked under the covers that night, in my room alone, it was an adjustment getting used to the evening noise; the wind blowing the walls of the tent, random animal calls and light footsteps outside the zippered door. But, eventually I fell into a deep slumber wakened by the sun shining through the mesh window of my canvas abode.
Glamping Serengeti

I rubbed my eyes and reflected on the prior evening, realizing that the only thing missing was the S’mores.

Glamping must include S’mores.

Bucket List of 15 Things to Do on a Safari in Tanzania
Spot the Big Five on an African Safari
Visit a Maasai Tribe in Tanzania, Africa
Eat Traditional African Ugali. A Stiff Porridge.
Visit An Orphanage in Tanzania, Africa
Go on an African Safari in Tanzania
Get Travel Vaccinations for an African Safari
9 Things To Do on a Long Haul Flight to Cure Boredom

Disclosure: I was a guest of Shadows of Africa & Osupuko Camps, but all the words I write come straight from my, sometimes distorted, mind. Just as it should be.

2017-05-08T16:22:18+00:00 September 8th, 2013|Categories: Africa, Tanzania, TRAVEL|Tags: , , , , |

1. The Yum List September 8, 2013 at 4:16 pm - Reply

There’s just that tent between you and the wildlife?

2. MIsty September 9, 2013 at 10:31 am - Reply

It sounds so cozy – thank you for sharing your experience!

3. Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) September 10, 2013 at 11:30 am - Reply

I am okay with camping, but this looks like a lot of fun. AND you’re on safari! So cool!

• Annette White September 11, 2013 at 2:25 pm - Reply

Don’t get me wrong, I will camp…when absolutely necessary. But, this was so much better!

4. Heather September 12, 2013 at 3:19 pm - Reply

Love this so much! Even though I eventually got into camping in Australia, this is still more my style O:-)

• Annette White September 12, 2013 at 3:58 pm - Reply

I used to like real camping when I was younger, but glamping is more my style too 🙂

5. Andi September 13, 2013 at 1:33 pm - Reply

I HATE camping! Ahhhh you couldn’t pay me to camp. Glamping I’m open to!!! What an awesome experience!

• Annette White September 13, 2013 at 3:48 pm - Reply

Phew, I’m glad to hear someone else out there is not fond of camping too!

6. Raymond @ Man On The Lam September 15, 2013 at 2:38 am - Reply

I think I’d like a shower attendant at home. Hang on, that could get kinda creepy. Scratch that. 🙂

It was my first time “glamping” as well, and I know now it won’t be my last. 🙂

7. Heather September 17, 2013 at 7:33 pm - Reply

Yeah, I think glamping is the only way to go. This must have been amazing!

• Annette White September 17, 2013 at 8:57 pm - Reply

Glamping is for sure the way to go if you love traditional camping as much as me 😉

8. Karisa September 18, 2013 at 12:14 am - Reply

That sounds like a nice experience. I’m also NOT a camper! I went camping once and ended up with a bloody knee and frizzy hair. Glamping sounds like fun though! 🙂

• Annette White September 18, 2013 at 8:00 am - Reply

I’m not gonna say you won’t get a bloody knee while glamping, but your frizzy hair could be cured with a flat iron because there is electricity in the tents!

9. CeCe September 24, 2013 at 10:15 pm - Reply

I loved glamping. We had all sorts of animals roaming around at night like elephants, baboons and hippos! One of my favorite travel experiences for sure…and yes…I love toilets and warm showers too!

• Annette White September 25, 2013 at 6:51 am - Reply

I could have even sacrificed the hot shower for the flushing toilet!

10. Traveling Ted September 29, 2013 at 12:06 pm - Reply

I love to camp outdoors, but not in Africa or a place I am unfamiliar with, so having these awesome luxuries on hand to sleep comfortably and safe is just the ticket. Great post.

• Annette White October 3, 2013 at 10:30 pm - Reply

Sleeping comfortably is extremely important to me. I get cranky with lack of good sleep 😉

11. Bhawani October 18, 2013 at 12:40 am - Reply

I like to see wild animals and before that I was not expecting that trip could be amazing just like you had it.Thanks for this amazing post and describing wild Serengeti.

12. Barbara December 6, 2013 at 1:56 pm - Reply

Oh, I would so love to do this!! It not only sounds like fun but looks like fun as well. I have always dreamed of a trip to the Serengeti and this one looks perfect. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us!

• Annette White December 6, 2013 at 5:03 pm - Reply

This was one of those adventures of a lifetime that I hope you will one day get to experience!

13. Kim January 23, 2014 at 10:11 pm - Reply

I enjoyed reading your posts about your safari. I just booked a safari to same area for next fall, the tour operator has me here at osupuko camp for 3 nights. I’m excited but was nervous especially going solo and being in tent by myself, as I am not a camper. I couldn’t find much info/reviews on the camp so I appreciate your post and photos. Did animals come real close to the tents? Did any critters come inside the tent? I will be staying at Osupuko lodge in tarangire for 2 nights too.

• Annette White January 23, 2014 at 10:49 pm - Reply

How exciting that you are doing a safari! I am not a camper either, but this was a bit different because it was a normal bed with comfy bedding, a flushing toilet and electricity. I too was a little worried about sleeping by myself in the tent, but I closed the zippered entry and then secured it at the bottom with my luggage lock. If any animals got really close to the tent I wasn’t completely aware of it and no critters got inside. The hardest part was getting used to the wind blowing against the walls. Also, the tents are reasonably close together, so your neighbors are there for safety 🙂 You will love Osupuko Lodge, it is INCREDIBLE!!
      Let me know if you have any other questions.

14. […] to Africa. You allowed me to find a type of camping I’d actually do again when I went glamping while on safari in Serengeti, you confirmed that happiness is a state of mind while visiting the Kibowa orphanage in […]

15. […] is the scariest travel experience you’ve had? Besides every time I fly (I am not a fan), Glamping in Serengeti. I was in a large tent all alone and just before zipping it up I could see the beady eyes in the […]

16. […] my time there, I was able to take a four day safari, go glamping in Serengeti, eat a traditional Ugali meal at a local restaurant, spend time at an orphanage in Arusha and […]

17. […] Read about my glamping  experience: Go Glamping in the Center of Africa’s Serengeti […]