Get a Thai massage in Thailand

On my last day in Chiang Mai, I realized that I had had an embarrassing amount of foot massages, including one by a prison inmate, but had not indulged in a traditional Thai massage. There was no way I could possibly leave this country without being able to say  “I got a Thai Massage in Thailand”. Though instant withdrawal symptoms may have ensued, the feet nurturing had to be put on hold for at least an hour.

A Thai massage is usually done on the floor using a deep massage and stretching technique that was developed in Thailand. Sounds soothing.

I had never had a Thai massage before. For that matter, prior to learning about the relaxing pleasure of the foot massage, I was not a massage fan at all. I just don’t like random people invading my private bubble. And it kind of freaks me out when the room is pin-drop quiet, except for the masseuse’s deep breathing. I have some issues. Fah Lanna Chiang Mai, Thailand

I had been having bargain $4.00 foot massages my entire three weeks in Thailand and on my last day it was time to splurge. I headed over to the hoity toity Fah Lanna Spa and just the impeccable grounds outside told me this would be meorable.
Fah Lanna Thailand

Walking into the lobby brought me into a different world, one that was serene, with no views of the hustle and bustle of Chiang Mai’s city streets. I ordered a one hour Thai massage for 400 baht ($12.00 usd). Expensive by Thai standards, yet a steal for this California lady.

There was a simple questionnaire to be filled out to indicate the appropriate amount of pressure and problem areas; medium pressure and left shoulder.

A medium pressured Thai massage can’t be that bad, right? Fah Lanna Thailand

I was led across the planked bridge, over the brilliant green water and to a small cottage at the end. They supplied me with comfy clothes and sent me to a two person room, but I was the only person. I laid in the middle of the thin mat on the floor waiting for the masseuse to come.

This is going to be nice.

Fah Lanna Chiang Mai Thailand Fah Lanna Chiang Mai Thailand

She entered, we exchanged pleasantries and she began to work. There was no smelly oils, soothing music or water fountains, just hardcore bodywork.
Thai Massage Room at Fah Lanna

It wasn’t long, maybe 30 seconds, before I realized that medium pressure meant pain for me.

Ouch! I am pretty sure my leg is not meant to be twisted in the air like that.

For the next hour I was uncomfortably poked, pulled, twisted and rubbed, my body put into positions it hadn’t seen in years or ever. Even when she inquired about the pressure level, I muttered that it was fine through my clenched teeth. She let out a small chuckle and carried on.

After an hour my Zen was gone, but it was no fault to Fah Lanna, the blame was solely on my stubbornness. Every fifteen minutes the masseuse checked in with me and each time I gave at least a nod to say carry on. In my mind I thought the benefits would be better with a deeper pressured touch. But, that may just be something you need to work up to.

With all that said, I would have a Thai massage again because having someone else work on making me limber is much better than doing it myself.
Fah Lanna Chiang Mai Thailand

Upon leaving I noticed their slogan: “easy to find, hard to forget. Ain’t that the truth.

. . . Related. . .

Bucket List of 18 Things to Do in Chiang Mai, Thailand
Eat Insects at Chiang Mai’s Sunday Night Market
Bathe Elephants at a Rescue in Thailand
Wat Chedi Luang: Explore a Temple Inside the City Walls of Chiang Mai
Learn to Make Handicraft Umbrellas in Chiang Mai
Map of Chiang Mai
Get a Foot Massage by a Prison Inmate in Chiang Mai
Traveling by Tuk Tuk in Chiang Mai & Other Transporation
Make Wishes at the White Temple in Chiang Rai
Tour an Insect Museum in Chiang Mai

2017-03-10T13:50:13+00:00 August 31st, 2013|Categories: Asia, BEAUTY & STYLE, Thailand, TRAVEL|Tags: , |

1. Andi September 1, 2013 at 6:08 am - Reply

I had one in Thailand as well. Hurt like hell, but I loved every second of it!

• Annette White September 1, 2013 at 6:31 am - Reply

Happy to hear that they are painful to others too and I am not just being a wimp!!

2. The Yum List September 1, 2013 at 7:40 pm - Reply

Yes, an absolute “must.” Looks like you chose a nice location for it too. 😉

• Annette White September 1, 2013 at 8:33 pm - Reply

The location was so incredibly beautiful, I could have just sat in the lobby for hours.

3. Josie September 2, 2013 at 12:25 am - Reply

Haha! I probably would’ve done the same thing- not said anything and endured the pain. Sounds like you had a great time. 🙂

• Annette White September 2, 2013 at 3:35 am - Reply

Next time, I’ll go for the soft tissue massage and work my way up!

4. CeCe September 2, 2013 at 9:15 am - Reply

I love deep messages but I guess I should probably go for a medium then. I can’t believe how dirt cheap the massages are.

5. Heather September 2, 2013 at 4:58 pm - Reply

I love getting massages, but I think this is one I can live without. I’ve heard they can be quite painful, and though the results may be nice afterward, I don’t know if I want to pay to undergo an hour of voluntary pain 🙂

6. Zara @ Backpack ME September 3, 2013 at 3:24 am - Reply

I’m heading to Thailand next week and I am so gonna get my kicks when it comes to massages!!
    Not sure if I’m ready for the super pressure they apply though.. I’m more of a smooth massage kinda girl.. but I guess you’ve gotta be open to new experiences when you travel, right?l! 😛

• Annette White September 3, 2013 at 5:32 am - Reply

Massages are so cheap it’s hard not to pop in for one after a nice meal 🙂 Have fun in Thailand!

7. Hotels September 4, 2013 at 5:31 am - Reply

I also had two time Thai message but very nice its awesome
    Thanks

8. Heather September 14, 2013 at 8:14 pm - Reply

Haha, I am familiar with “medium pressure!” That’s what I told my masseuse and it felt like she was trying to flatten me like a pancake! I would totally go back for another though 🙂

9. Ryan September 14, 2013 at 11:15 pm - Reply

It’s funny, everyone at my job keeps joking about Thai massages because they think all of Thailand is just handy joints…

After a year of serving tables, sometimes 16hrs a day, I think this type of Thai massage is what I’ll need. Hell, it’ll be my birthday present. Glad to see you think it is worth it!

• Annette White September 15, 2013 at 7:44 am - Reply

In some odd way I do believe that all the pain means it is better and I agree that after being on my feet in my restaurant all day a Thai massage may be just what I need!

10. Thai massage London October 30, 2013 at 1:14 am - Reply

Hi Annethe, thanks for sharing you experience with us. The location and pictures seems amazing. You might have an unforgettable experience there..

11. […] Read about my experience here: Get a Thai Massage in Thailand. […]

12. Shambala Massage April 11, 2016 at 4:29 am - Reply

Its a great place for massage. amazing places.

13. Raymond Carroll March 4, 2017 at 3:40 am - Reply

I love a good old traditional Thai massage. My wife’s cousin is a traditional Thai masseuse who owns two massage places on Tonsai West Beach on Koh Phi Phi Don. When we visited Koh Phi Phi last year one of the highlights of my trip was a Thai massage for my travel fatigued muscles. Great post with beautiful pictures!

• Annette White March 4, 2017 at 10:01 am - Reply

How nice it must be to have a masseuse in the family! I loved the foot massages in Thailand 🙂