Drink Absinthe at a Secret Savannah Speakeasy

Ssshhh…I’m talking to myself because I am absolutely, positively not allowed to tell you where the Savannah speakeasy, Mata Hari’s, is located. Lucky for them, I am pretty good at keeping secrets. Besides if everybody knew, it wouldn’t be any fun.

Mata Hari is a sexy speakeasy in Savannah, Georgia that only allows entry through its discreet doors with a key.

How do you get a key? You need to know someone who knows someone with one. Lucky for you, I know a few someones willing to unlock the door for you. Keep reading.

In an unmarked, unexpected and dimly lit location you will find this private club. As you knock on the door, a small window slides open and the eyeballs staring out ask for the key. No key, no entry.Lounge singer at speakeasy
lounge singer at speakeasy

I had a key. Or rather the blessed folks I was with had one.

Once we entered the bar, which will bring you back to the 1920’s, we were greeted by a lounge singer who was on stage belting out the oldies.

Just beyond the performer was the bar which I immediately noticed was serving Absinthe. Holler! I have had several failed attempts at trying Absinthe the traditional way, by melting a sugar cube into the liquor and diluting with water.

Tonight there would be success.

Absinthe, which was banned for many years due to its hallucinogenic properties, isn’t that easy to find even now that the ban is lifted. And it’s not as potent. You probably won’t see fairies.

It has a heavy anise flavor, tasting like strong, alcoholic black licorice. Too strong for this wine girl to finish, so I followed it up with a Mata Hari Martini, which simply features a shot of absinthe mixed with other ingredients. Still strong. Looks like nothing will take the place of my beloved vino.
Absinthe at Mata Hari Speakeasy
Making absinthe at speakeasyAbsinthe turning green

After an hour of drinking and mingling, we were taken into the hidden back room where the stage was set for burlesque.

We were treated to a preview of a fun and fitting show, complete with fire eaters and scantily clad women. Where do they sell those outfits? I think my husband would like one. For me to wear, not him.
Burlesque show at speakeasy
Burlesque show at speakeasyBurlesque show at speakeasy

See the ladies below? The ones wearing their pajamas to a swanky club? They have keys. Not on them, but back at their respective bed & breakfasts.

These are the Innkeepers at Savannah Inns, our hosts. And if you stay at any one of their four B&Bs (Dresser Palmer House, Zeigler House, Azalea Inn or Green Palm Inn), you can gain entry to Mata Hari’s.

I am sure there are other ways to secure a coveted key, I just don’t know what or how questionable they are. Maybe if you show up with pink hair, tulle on your butt and carrying a fire eating torch?

Asking a Innkeeper seems much easier.
Savannah Inns Innkeepers

Have you tried Absinthe before? Have you been to a speakeasy?

More information on Absinthe…

Bucket List of 25 Things To Do in Savannah, Georgia

Have a Southern Food Dining Experience at Mrs. Wilkes

Sleep in a Haunted House in Savannah

Eat Pimento Cheese Sandwich in Savannah

Attend A Honey Tasting in Savannah, Georgia

Things to do in Savannah by Points and Travel

DETAILS: Mata Hari is a secret speakeasy and you must have a key to get in. So far, the only ways that I have heard of people being successful at getting a key, other than from the innkeepers mentioned above, are through the concierge at a hotel, from a local shopkeeper and from asking a local friend. Though it may also be worth a shot to ask a pedicab driver or beg the doorman! Read the comments below, some have shared their experiences. It seems that someone in Savannah will know someone with a key. Best of luck!
Address:  306 W. Lower Factor’s Walk Savannah, Georgia 31401 | Map
Disclosure: My visit to Mata Hari’s was sponsored by Mata Hari and Savannah Inns, but all the words I write come straight from my, sometimes distorted, mind. Just as it should be.

2017-03-30T10:44:22+00:00 Categories: FOOD, Georgia, North America, TRAVEL|Tags: , , |

1. Phil Echols September 14, 2012 at 4:04 pm - Reply

Haven't had either one 😉  This looks like such a great time!  You're an inspiration.  Great post.

2. Annette | Bucket List Journey September 14, 2012 at 10:58 pm - Reply

The verdict is that I want them, but I don’t want to part with the $7,000 😉
    I will probably end of going through with it, I’m just procrastinating which is not like me at all!

3. cosmoHallitan September 14, 2012 at 11:20 pm - Reply

Looks like fun! I've always wanted to try absinthe but haven't been brave enough yet. I didn't realize it wasn't as strong now. Wonder if that's true for Europe too?

4. Juliann | Browsing the Atlas September 15, 2012 at 12:01 pm - Reply

I want a key. Thanks for the tip. I'm gettin' one next time I go to Savannah!!

5. EarthDrifter September 15, 2012 at 1:31 pm - Reply

I tried absinthe once.  After about three small glasses, I melted right into the couch.

6. EarthDrifter September 16, 2012 at 9:44 am - Reply

Ha ha unfortunately not 🙂

7. Alison September 19, 2012 at 6:38 am - Reply

This sounds so cool! I had a couple of shots of absinthe at a new year's party several years ago and was surprised it didn't have much for an effect on me! Not sure it was the proper stuff.

• Annette | Bucket List Journey September 19, 2012 at 9:31 am - Reply

In America they are not allowed to sell Absinthe that is as strong as in Europe, but even then it’s not as strong as before the ban. I only took a couple of sips, so it didn’t do much for me either, but it was fun!

8. […] recent visit to the sexy Mata Hari speakeasy in Savannah, this is a 'private club' based solely on donation, which is how they […]

9. […] my recent visit to the sexy Mata Hari speakeasy in Savannah, this is a ‘private club’ based solely on donation, which is how they […]

10. […] Drink Absinthe at a Speakeasy Mata Hari is a sexy speakeasy that only allows entry with a key, and if you read my post […]

11. […] by the King & Prince. Or rather the mixologist at the King & Prince. After drinking Absinthe in a Savannah Speakeasy, I was wary about the strength of another potent post-prohibition beverage. But, the Cherry […]

12. […] by the King & Prince. Or rather the mixologist at the King & Prince. After drinking Absinthe in a Savannah Speakeasy, I was wary about the strength of another potent post-prohibition beverage. But, the Cherry Julep […]

13. Neasa O'Sullivan November 28, 2012 at 4:09 pm - Reply

I haven't been to a speakeasy but i have recently had black absinthe. It was really strong but I liked it. It was on my bucket list 🙂 I really enjoy reading about your adventures by the way :D.

14. […] had absinthe too. The same hallucinogenic liquor that I missed out on in Spain, but drank at a Savannah Speakeasy. Sounds like a great way to wash down the tripe on my taste buds. […]

15. […] Drink Absinthe at a Speakeasy Mata Hari is a sexy speakeasy that only allows entry with a key, and if you read my post […]

16. […] by the King & Prince. Or rather the mixologist at the King & Prince. After drinking Absinthe in a Savannah Speakeasy, I was wary about the strength of another potent post-prohibition beverage. But, the Cherry […]

17. […] recent visit to the sexy Mata Hari speakeasy in Savannah, this is a 'private club' based solely on donation, which is how they […]

18. Karen December 14, 2013 at 11:46 am - Reply

I’m in Savannah tonight only 12-14-13 only celebrating my 40th with my husband. It would make our trip and my birthday if we could get into the Mata Hari speakeasy. Can you help please?? Karen@gram-promos.com

• Annette White December 14, 2013 at 12:10 pm - Reply

Just sent you an email 🙂

• Cindy March 24, 2016 at 5:20 am - Reply

Coming to Savannah in April 2016 for 10 year anniversary, got to find a key!!!!

• Vicki April 7, 2016 at 9:16 am - Reply

Cindy we’re going to Savannah this month for our 30th!! In fact we’ll be there starting 4/9! When will you be there? I’m hoping to get into the Mata Hari too. Can’t wait!!

• Cindy April 10, 2016 at 6:04 pm

We are hear, found the place but still looking for a key.

• Heather July 21, 2016 at 4:04 pm - Reply

In Savannah for the weekend do you have any info on how to get a key?

• samantha webber October 13, 2016 at 9:53 am - Reply

My Fiance and I are coming to Savannah for the first time at the end of this month! I came across your wonderful article and we are knocking things off our bucket list before the wedding, can you help us? 🙂 Samantha.webber0828@gmail.com

thank you so much!

• Annette White October 13, 2016 at 10:55 am - Reply

I wish I could help with this one, but all the ways I know about how to get a key are either in the article or some readers have shared some tips in the comments. I do hope you get to check it off your bucket list!!

19. Dana December 18, 2013 at 7:25 am - Reply

My parents are going to Savannah for vacation this Spring. I would love to get them in and it would be a great Christmas gift to them. Any tips? They have already made reservations so I can’t get them a night at one of the Inns.

• Annette White December 18, 2013 at 7:48 am - Reply

So far, here are the ways that I have heard people being successful at getting in other than by the innkeepers mentioned:
      through the concierge at a hotel, from a local shopkeeper and asking a local friend. It seems that someone in Savannah will know someone with a key. Best of luck!

20. Jenna December 27, 2013 at 4:26 pm - Reply

how do I get a key if I didn’t book at one of the B&Bs? I’m staying tonight and tomorrow at Inn at. Ellis square.

Jenna

• Annette White December 27, 2013 at 4:46 pm - Reply

Hey Jenna, check out my response to the previous comment and it says all the ways I have heard of getting in. Good luck!! 🙂

21. Kevin January 6, 2014 at 2:15 pm - Reply

In the picture he’s just pouring water onto the cube. That’s not the traditional way. The water is meant to be slowly dripped onto the cube using a special absinthe “fountain”. This is so the drink will gradually louche.

22. Cassie January 8, 2014 at 10:19 pm - Reply

What inns or b&bs?

• Annette White January 9, 2014 at 7:56 am - Reply

At the time this was published the B&Bs participating were Dresser Palmer House, Zeigler House, Azaela Inn and Green Palm Inn. But, you may want to reconfirm when you call.

23. David January 10, 2014 at 1:59 pm - Reply

We have a 3 couples coming up next weekend. Jan 17 – 20th. We have a speakeasy here in Sarasota but it is not as cool sounding as this one. Would you be able to help us get in somehow? This would make our trip. photoguru@comcast.net Thanks!

• Annette White January 10, 2014 at 3:14 pm - Reply

Hi David, If you read some of the past comments on this post I list all the ways I have heard of people getting a key. Best of luck 🙂

24. Terrie Kondo February 12, 2014 at 1:03 pm - Reply

Having a girls weekend march 1-3 would love to know how to get a key please? Can you help please?

• Annette White February 12, 2014 at 3:37 pm - Reply

Hello Terrie,
      If you read a few of the previous comments I list all the ways I have heard of people getting a key. It seems that most people have been pretty successful. Good Luck!! Savannah would be a great girls weekend!

25. […] had absinthe too. The same hallucinogenic liquor that I missed out on in Spain, but drank at a Savannah Speakeasy. Sounds like a great way to wash down the tripe on my taste buds. […]

26. Justin April 4, 2014 at 9:00 am - Reply

Annette,

You mentioned “local shop keepers” to get a key or an invite. Do you know any specific locations? My wife and I just booked a B&B, but the innkeeper said she didn’t have, or know how to get a key. Also, do you know if you have to pay to get a key? Just trying to make sure our anniversary is fun. Thanks!

• Annette White April 4, 2014 at 11:47 am - Reply

Hello Justin,
      I wish I could be of more help, especially since it will be your anniversary, but I am not sure exactly which shopkeepers will have a key. Though another idea may be to ask a pedicab driver located throughout the city. They may have some insider info. since they are probably always taking people there. Good Luck. And if you get in please share with us how 🙂

27. Justin April 4, 2014 at 5:14 pm - Reply

Thanks!

Great idea.

28. Alex April 28, 2014 at 9:30 am - Reply

Thank you so much for posting this. I’m getting married in August, and my fiance fell in love with Savannah one time she was there so we’re planning to go for our honeymoon. This will be great to do one night! 🙂

I was already looking at Zeigler House for a place to stay.

• Annette White April 28, 2014 at 11:27 am - Reply

What a wonderful honeymoon Savannah will make! Unfortunately, when I went my husband was not with me, but I would love to bring him one day. Zeigler House is beautiful and on a gorgeous street. Congrats on your upcoming nuptials and savor your time in Savannah!

29. M. Krneta May 5, 2014 at 9:49 am - Reply

My friends and I will be in Savannah next weekend May 15-18 and we would love to spend an evening here. We are 3 very polite Canadian girls….Is there someone we can contact/beg/bribe/cajole to obtain a key to admission??? Pretty Please???

• Annette White May 5, 2014 at 1:16 pm - Reply

LOL!! Here’s what I have written about getting a key, but bribing the doorman may be the best idea 😉
      “So far, the only ways that I have heard of people being successful at getting a key, other than from the innkeepers mentioned above, are through the concierge at a hotel, from a local shopkeeper and from asking a local friend. Though it may also be worth a shot to ask a pedicab driver or beg the doorman! It seems that someone in Savannah will know someone with a key.”
      Best of luck!

30. mimi August 1, 2014 at 6:20 am - Reply

Great article, blog on Mata Hari…do you know their hours?

• Annette White August 1, 2014 at 12:42 pm - Reply

These are the posted hours, not totally certain if they are correct.

Mon – Closed
      Tue – Closed
      Wed – 10:00 pm – 3:00 am
      Thu – 9:00 pm – 3:00 am
      Fri – 9:00 pm – 3:00 am
      Sat – 9:00 pm – 3:00 am
      Sun – Closed

• Nikki August 8, 2016 at 3:59 pm - Reply

I have a group of people wanting to try this place out on Saturday night. The inns didn’t know what I was talking about. How do I get a key for this weekend?

31. […] Drink Absinthe at a Speakeasy Mata Hari is a sexy speakeasy that only allows entry with a key, and if you read my post […]

32. Caroline October 1, 2014 at 2:52 pm - Reply

Planning to go tonight! Have key and hoping to have fun!

• Annette White October 2, 2014 at 10:32 am - Reply

Let us all know how it was and how you got a key 🙂

33. Valerie October 12, 2014 at 5:11 pm - Reply

My husband and I are headed there this weekend to celebrate our anniversary, hoping to find a key! Any suggestions??

• Annette White October 13, 2014 at 7:45 am - Reply

The only suggestions i have are all listed in the post or comments. But, I’m hoping that someone who has been successful recently, will post an answer to that question here. Have a great time!

34. Sharon April 8, 2015 at 11:21 am - Reply

I had absinthe in WIlliamsburg…not wonderful to me, but glad I tried it. AND we are going to Savannah tomorrow for 4 days and I hope I can score a key!!!

• Annette White April 9, 2015 at 3:42 am - Reply

I feel the same about absinthe. It’s not a drink I’ll order every time I go out, but happy to say I’ve tried it! Have fun in Savannah!

35. kimberly July 7, 2015 at 5:49 am - Reply

My husband and I are visiting Savannah for the first time this coming weekend (July 11-13th). My curiosity is aroused on this speakeasy. Please tell me how to get in. It sounds so fun.

36. kacey August 15, 2015 at 10:21 am - Reply

When I looked this place up on a map it says it is permanently closed? Is this just false information so it stays secret?

37. Michele March 17, 2016 at 11:27 am - Reply

What is the dress code?

• Annette White March 17, 2016 at 4:39 pm - Reply

When I was there is was casual trendy. A nice pair of jeans and cute top worked fine.

38. Jennifer Povall July 3, 2016 at 10:44 am - Reply

I’m ready..I will wear what ever or not wear at all if you like.. You sound like my kind of people.. been here 3 years and have been dying to find the same intelligence, oddity, sarcasm, and lust for it never to end.

Please may I have a key?

39. Kathy August 6, 2016 at 8:52 am - Reply

I need a key for timight!!! Im visiting. Can anyone help?

40. Tyler August 19, 2016 at 4:37 pm - Reply

Going tonight! First time! Wife and I can’t wait! Details to come.

• Annette White August 20, 2016 at 8:13 am - Reply

Let us all know how it was!!

• Stephanie August 23, 2016 at 4:51 am - Reply

Hi Tyler – Please tell how you secured a key? I am here with husband visiting until Aug 30. Would love to take him here!

• Rae August 27, 2016 at 4:01 pm - Reply

PLEASE EMAIL ME THE DETAILS!!! My boyfriends birthday is Thursday. PLEASE PLEASE

Shaneandrae8589@gmail.com

41. Rae August 27, 2016 at 4:00 pm - Reply

My boyfriends birthday is coming up and I would LOVE to take him on this adventure. Please help me get a key so we can experience this. Shaneandrae8589@gmail.com

Subject: Absinthe

42. MaryJo August 30, 2016 at 9:26 pm - Reply

Would love to hear from those who found a key and how or where

43. Kelly September 13, 2016 at 4:42 pm - Reply

We are visiting the weekend of October 1st for my boyfriends birthday and would LOVE to take him here.
    Any help to find a key would be greatly appreciated!! He has always wanted to go to this type of place.
    I am willing to work to find it.

44. Elijah Fischer September 24, 2016 at 8:23 pm - Reply

My soon to be wife and I are honeymooning in Savannah 10/06/16 any if anyone has a local friend willing to hook up some newlyweds please let me know!
    ElijahFischer@outlook.com

45. Stephen McMahon October 2, 2016 at 5:38 am - Reply

There is a Groupon available at the moment…

46. Dakota December 27, 2016 at 11:59 pm - Reply

Help a desperate man out with a unique way to pop the big question. If anyone can help me bdsnellings25@hotmail.com

47. Christopher J Whalen December 29, 2016 at 11:37 am - Reply

I need a key for this weekend. The wife and I are coming to town for the New Year.

48. Brittany Grove January 22, 2017 at 4:12 pm - Reply

Hello, I don’t know if anyone is still active on this post but I am bringing my boyfriend into town for his birthday. It will be our first vacation together officially. I would love to take him here to create a unique experience that we will remember for years to come! If anyone could help out I would greatly appreciate it! the_realginger@yahoo.com

49. Lisa Scime February 14, 2017 at 10:56 pm - Reply

Anybody out there wanna help some girls out on A Girls Weekend Trip with a key??? We’re here thru Sun and what a trip it would be if we could get in a speakeasy.

50. Wendi Ricketson March 19, 2017 at 12:42 am - Reply

My husband and I are looking for a much needed getaway. We will be in Savannah from Wednesday March 22 until 3/24 and I’m desperate to find a key to take him to the speakeasy. Please help!

51. Michelle Nickerson May 24, 2017 at 5:27 pm - Reply

Coming to Savannah for Memorial Day weekend, Fri – Mon 2017, and would love to find a key to a speakeasy. Lots of posts about looking for one, but no one is fessing up where to find one!!!! Is anyone willing to help a damsel in need? We are staying at a major hotel chain, not at an Inn. Any clues would be appreciated.