Not Eating at London’s Borough Market

We were only in London for four days, and we crammed a lot of new experiences and bucket list checks into that time. I don’t do “slow travel” well, I do speedy travel really good. Though I squeezed just about every ounce of fun I could out of London, I did have one regret: Not eating at Borough Market.

Borough Market is London’s most renowned food market, featuring fruits, vegetables, British and International fare.
Borough Market Entrance

We thought we were being smart by taking The Underground to the London Bridge stop early in the a.m. to stroll through Burough Market. Unfortunately, it was too early.

Traders were prepping their aromatic foods to be served for lunch, but they were not for sale yet. Torture.

The first thing we walked by was a pan overflowing with sausages. Heartburn in a bowl. I still wanted to be the official taste tester. Besides it was breakfast, the perfect time for bangers sans the mash.
Sausage at London's Borough Market

The next delicacy to taunt me was the Catalan Stew with meatballs, chorizo, butter beans and spicy sauce. If that cook would just turn around I could snag one of those little floating meatballs.
Catalan Stew at London's Borough Market

The variety of paellas available were in abundance, but I wouldn’t have spoiled my first ever paella experience in London when I would be in Barcelona in just a few days. They still smelled scrumptious.
 Paella at London's Borough Market

The four years cured, Senorio de Montanera, ham looked ready for slicing…but, it was not. Too early.

Even the somewhat creepy hoof would not have kept me away from noshing on a thin piece of this otherwise.
Jamon at London's Borough Market

The Stinking Bishop cheese appealed to my “strange foods” eating style. Was it really stinky? I may never know.

They were also selling bread from one of Anthony Bourdains Layover picks, St. John. Luckily we had already eaten carbs and bone marrow at St. John Restaurant, so I was only feeling minimally deprived about not being able to purchase a loaf.
Cheese at London's Borough Market  Bread at London's Borough Market

The Rabot Estate chocolatier was just setting up shop as we passed by. This would have made for the perfect dessert to the meal we never had. Next time.
Chocolate at London's Borough Market

Though we vowed to return later that day to actually ingest some of the deliciousness that was seen, we got caught up with the excitement of the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace and time slipped away.

Do you have any regrets from your trip to London? Have you eaten at Borough Market?

Walk Across London’s Abbey Road and Stand in a Red Phone Booth
Attend a Proper British Afternoon Tea in London
See the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace (Part 1)
See the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace (Part 2)
12 Tips for Navigating the London Underground
Take a Spin on the London Eye
Stroll Through London’s Hyde Park
Learn Sign Language While Drinking at the Oldest Wine Bar in London

2017-03-11T17:20:09+00:00 June 25th, 2012|Categories: England, Europe, TRAVEL|Tags: , |

1. John of Travel Rinse Repeat June 25, 2012 at 7:20 am - Reply

It all looks delicious. And I can't believe you were only in London for four days. You've generated so many great posts from it, I would have thought you were there for two weeks or more!

2. Jen June 26, 2012 at 2:31 am - Reply

I live 40 mins from London and I didn't even know this place existed! Amazing – I'll have to visit and let you know if the cheese really is stinky 😉 x

3. Heather June 26, 2012 at 5:59 am - Reply

I was sure you would eat at Borough Market!! 🙂

Iced coffee from Monmouth? Heavenly.

I didn’t eat anything in May, but last summer I got a little carried away and bought cakes and an ostrich burger to share with friends!

4. Shanna Schultz June 26, 2012 at 7:16 pm - Reply

The Borough Market was something that had been on my London wish list, too, and we never seemed to make it over there.  I will definitely add it to the list for next time, though (it reminds me a lot of the Mercado San Miguel in Madrid.)

I am sooo right there with you in that i don't do slow travel well at all (too many things to see!)  Too many things, too little time.  That's my motto!

5. wandergirl June 27, 2012 at 8:06 pm - Reply

Borough Market is one of my favourite places on earth! 🙂 I need to go back and try everything!
    I wouldn't feel too badly though – you got a lot done in 4 days!

6. Jonathan Look, Jr. June 29, 2012 at 8:43 am - Reply

I so want to become a vegetarian. I know morally it is better and arguably better for you BUT . . . DAMN those sausages look good.

7. Jen June 30, 2012 at 5:54 am - Reply

BOrough is just a few minutes from my place but I tend to avoid it unless I have out of town visitors. It's always SO busy, particularly on a Saturday. I do like walking around and sampling the cheeses and salamis…. and the truffle oil is ALWAYS a no fail!

8. Robin April 2, 2013 at 5:24 am - Reply

I live on the doorstep of Borough Market.  Most locals don't go there much anymore because it's too touristy.  Nearby Maltby St has popped up as a result.  One to try on your next trip?  http://www.timeout.com/london/shopping/maltby-street-se1

9. Sofie April 8, 2013 at 3:05 am - Reply

Although I’ve been to London several times and have eaten and different markets, I haven’t been to Borough Market yet.
    But it’s on the list for this year’s trip:)
    And Maltby ST is noted!

• Annette White April 8, 2013 at 6:43 am - Reply

The food truly looked delicious there. I hope you get to try it!