Make a Contribution to the Seattle Gum Wall

I popped a piece of Spearmint gum in my mouth at Pike Place Market, in anticipation of visiting the Seattle Gum Wall. I wanted to be ready to make a contribution.

The Seattle gum wall is located in Post Alley, just downstairs from Pikes, at the box office of the Market Theater.

Back in the 90s, patrons of the theater started to stick their chewing gum on the wall, many times with coins stuck inside. The coins have since disappeared, I thoroughly searched, but the gum remains. Lots of gum. Though the theater workers tried to scrape the blobs off, they stopped when the wall was deemed a tourist attraction in 1999.
seattle gum wall

Trident, Wrigley, Extra, Orbit? They must all be represented here.

This oddity of the Seattle Gum Wall was named one of the top five germiest tourist attractions, along with the Blarney Stone. Considering that Peter is a, self-proclaimed, germaphobe, he gets deathly close. Do you see him shaking? I consider this cheap therapy.
Close up of seattle gum wall Pete touches the seattle gum wall

You can not visit the Seattle Gum Wall without making a contribution, so I blew a bubble to make sure my gum had the proper consistency prior to placing it on the wall.
Annette White at the Seattle Gum Wall

With 50+ feet of wall to choose from it was difficult to pick the perfect local for my donation. But, I thought orange would be an excellent background for my crisp, white addition.

The tricky part was placing the gum without touching anyone elses.

Ta da. My Spearmint hits the Seattle Gum Wall.
Contribution to the seattle gum wall Contribution to the seattle gum wall

Have you make a contribution to the Seattle Gum Wall? What is the oddest attraction you have ever seen?

2017-03-11T18:50:09+00:00 Categories: North America, TRAVEL, Washington|Tags: |

1. Lizzy Bradbury March 23, 2012 at 1:43 am - Reply

I have to say, I like new things, but this is literally one of the grossest things I've ever seen……I HATE other people's saliva and to be near so much of it! Oh, I cannot bear thinking about it!
    I am needless to say, very impressed you managed to add to it 🙂

• Annette White March 23, 2012 at 6:50 am - Reply

Ha Ha! It is super gross, yet really cool at the same time 😉

2. John March 23, 2012 at 7:10 am - Reply

I stumbled across this wall without even knowing about it….what a surprise it was!

• Annette White March 23, 2012 at 7:23 am - Reply

That would be a surprise! In a creepy, gross, yet intriguing way 😉

3. Savira Gupta March 23, 2012 at 7:44 am - Reply

Now that is interesting… gum rom around the saliva world!

• Annette White March 23, 2012 at 8:24 am - Reply

I wonder how many countries and cities are represented?

4. Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) March 23, 2012 at 10:33 am - Reply

That's so neat! I've never been to Seattle but if I go I will most definitely stop here 🙂

• Annette White March 23, 2012 at 3:02 pm - Reply

Seattle is a wonderful city, I hope you make it there one day 🙂

5. Claire March 24, 2012 at 12:55 pm - Reply

Wow! I had never heard of the gum wall in Seattle. It looks a little gross but I think I'll have to make a contribution when I visit the city!

6. Jared Loftus March 26, 2012 at 7:46 am - Reply

I'm so bummed! I was downstairs at the market this summer, but had never heard of the gum wall, so I didn't walk far enough to ever find it. I was within 25 yards of the wall and never saw it until I got back on my group's bus and saw other people's pictures. Very anoying :-/

7. Mary R May 24, 2012 at 9:56 am - Reply

This post is hilarious! yes, I did make my own contribution to the wall a few years back! I wish I had documented it too!

8. `Kerry July 10, 2014 at 10:41 pm - Reply

Okay…you have become my travel blogging idol, but now I’m thinking you and everyone who has made a contribution to this wall are just plain crazy. 🙂 This, for someone who hates even accidentally touching one person’s gum stuck to the underside of a restaurant table, is worse than pretty much any of the strange gross food you write about. My uncle’s post office had a locker full of people’s banana stickers, but who had this idea? When my computer’s voice software program first read this post to me I thought Seattle had a “Gun Wall”. I guess this is better and safer than that, unless you hate germs. I can’t believe this is up there with the Blarney Stone. I did kiss that I suppose. Hope to write about it and post pictures on my new Bucket List section soon.

• Annette White July 11, 2014 at 7:33 am - Reply

Now if I would have kissed the wall it would have been much grosser 😉 But, I made sure to not touch anyone else’s gum!