9 Non-Fishy Things at Pike Place Fish Market in Seattle

Immediately after dropping my luggage off at the Mayflower Park Hotel (and inhaling the complimentary chocolate covered cherries), I sprinted the four blocks to one of the countries most famous, markets, Pike Place Fish Market.

I had a preconceived vision of Pike Place Fish Market in Seattle. It included throwing fish, catching fish and eating fish. And it was all that.

But, this fishy haven offers much more than just scallops, salmon and shrimp.
Fish at Pike Place Fish Market Scallops at Pike Place Fish Market

1. Custom Hats

Hats are not uncommon attire in this well-known-for-being rainy city. But, if you want to stand out in the black-hat crowd, sport one of these custom (& colorful) numbers.
Custom Hats at Pike Place Fish Market

2. Rocker T-Shirts

An amazing artist uses bleach and guitars to make the coolest rocker t-shirts. I know. Amazing. It was one of the few souvenirs that I have ever wanted…anywhere. {Buy at the Bleach Factory}

Rocker T-Shirts at Pike Place Fish Market

3. Cigar Box Guitar

And of course if I am going to be sporting a rocker tee, I need a cigar box guitar to jam with. Duh.

Cigar Box Guitar at Pike Place Fish Market

4. Colorful Tulips

Alm Hill Gardens was selling beautiful bouquets of tulips at Pike Place Fish Market. They are a sustainable farm that produces berries, lettuces and vegetables too. But, who could get past the flowers?
Tulips at Pike Place Fish Market

5. Pure Honey

As soon as I tasted the raw blackberry honey, I was picturing it in a cup of warm tea by a cozy fire. I thought about double dipping to make sure the second lick would be as good as the first. I’m sure I wouldn’t have been the only one.

6. Sweet Pistachios

The sweet, candied pistachios would make for the perfect accompaniment to my cup of tea (stop skimming and read #5). Or at least could replace a dull bowl of beer nuts.
Blackberry Honey at Pike Place Fish Market candied pistachios at Pike Place Fish Market

7. Leather Journals

Oh boy, the secrets that could be kept in a beautiful, leather journal…if it only had a lock.
Leather Journals at Pike Place Fish Market

8. Fire Lighters

Strike the match against the stone and you have instant fire. Genius. Or maybe just another Pike Place Fish Market souvenir.

9. Sea Related Magnets

You can bring home a fishy memory, a sea-related refrigerator magnet. And it won’t spoil or smell up your suitcase.
Fire Lighters at Pike Place Fish Market Magnets at Pike Place Market

Have you been to Pike Place Fish Market? Which one of these souvenir would you most likely take home?

2017-03-11T18:51:00+00:00 Categories: North America, TRAVEL, Washington|Tags: |

1. John March 7, 2012 at 7:32 pm - Reply

Yes! Love that we'll be seeing some of your Seattle posts now. That market is phenomenal – thanks for showing another side of it.

2. Stephanie March 7, 2012 at 8:00 pm - Reply

Ah! I've been hearing about this place left and right recently! It's been about seven years since I've been there. The first Starbucks isn't too far away from there, if you're a coffee fan.

I'll take those pistachios any day!

• Annette White March 7, 2012 at 9:27 pm - Reply

The Original Starbucks is right across the street. Of course we had to go there for our morning coffee!

3. Marina March 8, 2012 at 12:13 am - Reply

I loved everything!! And tulips are my favorite flowers, wonderful! 🙂

• Annette White March 8, 2012 at 1:26 am - Reply

The tulips were the first thing I saw because the colors were so brilliant.

4. Ellie March 8, 2012 at 4:48 am - Reply

Ooooh, I'd kill for one those guitar T-shirts, they're brilliant!  That, a little honey for my toast, and a beautiful bouquet of those red and yellow tulips, and I'd be a very a happy shopper.  🙂

• Annette White March 8, 2012 at 8:28 am - Reply

I loved those t-shirts! Some of the ones he did were really cool too.

5. Ruth March 8, 2012 at 11:57 pm - Reply

stunning photos and what a great place to visit 🙂

• Annette White March 9, 2012 at 8:25 am - Reply

Thanks! I a happy to have checked it off my bucket list.

6. CHerished Handmade Treasures March 9, 2012 at 11:08 am - Reply

Hi! Stopping by from the Stop, Drop Alexa hop.

Sandy
    <a href="http://cherishedhandmadetreasures.blogspot.com/">Cherished Handmade Treasures</a>

7. Sabrina March 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm - Reply

Looks amazing! And being the most fish-loving traveler (I make exceptions for shrimp, mussels, and deep-frired white fish) I totally appreciate a fish market where there's all this other stuff to look at and try. The honey sounds amazing… so do the pistachios… yummy!

8. Andi at The Particular Traveler March 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm - Reply

The Pike Place Market was a delightful surprise for me when I visited Seattle.  I love all the funky art and beautiful flowers.   I would take home those pistachios for sure!

• Annette White March 10, 2012 at 1:52 pm - Reply

I know. I am sorry I don’t have some pistachios right now!

9. Poppy March 10, 2012 at 8:15 pm - Reply

I think when you visit any city you can really get a feel for local culture by visiting a market, the thing is this is an increasingly common perception amongst people visiting a lot of places and many cities are starting to have their markets turn more into tourist traps!

• Annette White March 10, 2012 at 10:30 pm - Reply

Completely agree. My favorite markets were in the small Northern Italy towns.

10. Mary @ The World Is A Book March 11, 2012 at 9:26 pm - Reply

We loved Pike's Fish market too.  The fish throwing was so entertaining.  My kids were drawn to the bronzed pig =) This is a great selection of photos and souvenirs.   I like how there was so much variety inside the market and great restaurants with views too.  If only, it wasn't so crowded trying to get through.  The honey and pistachios look yummy!

• Annette White March 12, 2012 at 1:47 am - Reply

Everyone was taking pictures with the bronzed pig! I do believe I have one too 😉

11. Lizzy Bradbury March 12, 2012 at 2:27 am - Reply

Congratulations on such a great blog!

I enjoy reading it so much I have selected you as a worthy recipient of The Versatile Blogger award.

Visit – http://lizzybradbury.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/versatile-blogger-award/

– to find out more.

Once again, thank you for adding value to the blogging community!

12. Sarah March 12, 2012 at 8:45 pm - Reply

I dream of going to Seattle! Thank you for sharing, now I really can't wait to visit!
    I wanted to stop by and thank you for linking up last week on the Alexa hop, I would really love it if you would stop by and link up again this week! http://mooseandtater.com/2012/03/lower-your-alexa-alexahop/

• Annette White March 12, 2012 at 9:32 pm - Reply

Seattle was one of my favorite cities, I would definitely like to go back.
      Heading over the the Alexa hop…right now 😉

13. Goody March 16, 2012 at 3:29 am - Reply

I love visiting local markets when I'm a new place as it's the best way to know more about traditions, culture and all the unknow aspect of that place! I love the shots in this post! Mu favoutite one is that on the hats!! Amazing!!

• Annette White March 16, 2012 at 7:44 am - Reply

I’m a HUGE foodie, so I definitely try to visit all the food markets, but was surprised to find all the other goodies at Pikes!

14. […] Space Needle towers over its front door. From the charming Mayflower Park Hotel, near Pike Place Market, it was a just five minute tram ride. […]

15. […] annettesADVENTURES, TRAVEL & EXPLORE I popped a piece of Spearmint gum in my mouth at Pike Place Market, in anticipation of visiting Seattle's Gum Wall. I wanted to be ready to make a […]

16. […] popped a piece of Spearmint gum in my mouth at Pike Place Market, in anticipation of visiting Seattle’s Gum Wall. I wanted to be ready to make a […]

17. […] a hop, skip and jump (all uphill) from Pike Place Market in Seattle, sits a trendy French inspired bistro, Marche. It was a fluke that we found it […]

18. […] GASTRONOMY, TRAVEL & EXPLORE After exiting Pike Place Market in Seattle, we walked across the street heading towards the Original Starbucks for a cappuccino, […]

19. […] exiting Pike Place Market in Seattle, we walked across the street heading towards the Original Starbucks for a cappuccino, […]

20. […] course, it wouldn't be the Pike Place Market area if there weren't souvenirs, which I did NOT buy. I took pictures of the souvenirs instead. […]

21. LInda April 9, 2013 at 5:24 pm - Reply

Love those guitar shirts too… do you know the vendors name, as I really wanted to purchase, but didn’t and now want to purchase. Thanks

• Annette White April 9, 2013 at 9:59 pm - Reply

Oh boy, I wish I knew! I tried to Google and came up empty. Let me know if you find out who the vendor is so I can add it to the post. Best of luck 🙂

• BleachFactory May 7, 2015 at 1:29 am - Reply

The guitar stamped shirts are now available online!

• Annette White May 7, 2015 at 2:06 pm - Reply

Very cool!

• Miles March 24, 2016 at 12:45 pm - Reply

Where online are the guitar shirts please 🙂

• Annette White March 24, 2016 at 6:53 pm - Reply

Unfortunately, I don’t think they have a website. Though, you can try Etsy.com to see if someone is selling something similar.

• Annette White March 24, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Thank for leaving this website again! I see you left that comment earlier too! I’m going to put the site in the article 🙂

22. […] popped a piece of Spearmint gum in my mouth at Pike Place Market, in anticipation of visiting the Seattle Gum Wall. I wanted to be ready to make a […]

23. Jamaican Ugli Fruit: Sweet & Tangy November 21, 2013 at 12:15 pm - Reply

24. […] course, it wouldn't be the Pike Place Market area if there weren't souvenirs, which I did NOT buy. I took pictures of the souvenirs instead. […]

25. […] a hop, skip and jump (all uphill) from Pike Place Market in Seattle, sits a trendy French inspired bistro, Marche. It was a fluke that we found it […]

26. […] known Space Needle towers over its front door. From the charming Mayflower Park Hotel, near Pike Place Market, it was a just five minute tram ride. […]