9 Non-Fishy Things at Pike Place Fish Market in Seattle

9 Non-Fishy Things at Pike Place Fish Market in Seattle

Immediately after dropping my luggage off at the Mayflower Park Hotel (and inhaling the complimentary chocolate covered cherries), I sprinted the four blocks to one of the countries most famous, markets, Pike Place Fish Market.

I had a preconceived vision of Pike Place Fish Market in Seattle. It included throwing fish, catching fish and eating fish. And it was all that.

But, this fishy haven offers much more than just scallops, salmon and shrimp.
Fish at Pike Place Fish Market Scallops at Pike Place Fish Market

1. Custom Hats
Hats are not uncommon attire in this well-known-for-being rainy city. But, if you want to stand out in the black-hat crowd, sport one of these custom (& colorful) numbers.
Custom Hats at Pike Place Fish Market

2. Rocker T-Shirts
An amazing artist uses bleach and guitars to make the coolest rocker t-shirts. I know. Amazing. It was one of the few souvenirs that I have ever wanted…anywhere.

3. Cigar Box Guitar
And of course if I am going to be sporting a rocker tee, I need a cigar box guitar to jam with. Duh.
Rocker T-Shirts at Pike Place Fish Market Cigar Box Guitar at Pike Place Fish Market

4. Colorful Tulips
Alm Hill Gardens was selling beautiful bouquets of tulips at Pike Place Fish Market. They are a sustainable farm that produces berries, lettuces and vegetables too. But, who could get past the flowers?
Tulips at Pike Place Fish Market

5. Pure Honey
As soon as I tasted the raw blackberry honey, I was picturing it in a cup of warm tea by a cozy fire. I thought about double dipping to make sure the second lick would be as good as the first. I'm sure I wouldn't have been the only one.

6. Sweet Pistachios
The sweet, candied pistachios would make for the perfect accompaniment to my cup of tea (stop skimming and read #5). Or at least could replace a dull bowl of beer nuts.
Blackberry Honey at Pike Place Fish Market candied pistachios at Pike Place Fish Market

7. Leather Journals
Oh boy, the secrets that could be kept in a beautiful, leather journal…if it only had a lock.
Leather Journals at Pike Place Fish Market

8. Fire Lighters
Strike the match against the stone and you have instant fire. Genius. Or maybe just another Pike Place Fish Market souvenir.

9. Sea Related Magnets
You can bring home a fishy memory, a sea-related refrigerator magnet. And it won't spoil or smell up your suitcase.
Fire Lighters at Pike Place Fish Market Magnets at Pike Place Market

Have you been to Pike Place Fish Market? Which one of these souvenir would you most likely take home?

1. John says:

Yes! Love that we'll be seeing some of your Seattle posts now. That market is phenomenal – thanks for showing another side of it.

2. And a piroshky piroshky post will be coming soon :)

3. Stephanie says:

Ah! I've been hearing about this place left and right recently! It's been about seven years since I've been there. The first Starbucks isn't too far away from there, if you're a coffee fan.

I'll take those pistachios any day!

4. The Original Starbucks is right across the street. Of course we had to go there for our morning coffee!

5. Marina says:

I loved everything!! And tulips are my favorite flowers, wonderful! :)

6. The tulips were the first thing I saw because the colors were so brilliant.

7. Ellie says:

Ooooh, I'd kill for one those guitar T-shirts, they're brilliant!  That, a little honey for my toast, and a beautiful bouquet of those red and yellow tulips, and I'd be a very a happy shopper.  :)

8. I loved those t-shirts! Some of the ones he did were really cool too.

9. Ruth says:

stunning photos and what a great place to visit :)

10. Thanks! I a happy to have checked it off my bucket list.

11. CHerished Handmade Treasures says:

Hi! Stopping by from the Stop, Drop Alexa hop.

Sandy
    <a href="http://cherishedhandmadetreasures.blogspot.com/">Cherished Handmade Treasures</a>

12. Thanks! I’ll visit you too :)

13. Sabrina says:

Looks amazing! And being the most fish-loving traveler (I make exceptions for shrimp, mussels, and deep-frired white fish) I totally appreciate a fish market where there's all this other stuff to look at and try. The honey sounds amazing… so do the pistachios… yummy!

14. The honey was delicious!

15. The Pike Place Market was a delightful surprise for me when I visited Seattle.  I love all the funky art and beautiful flowers.   I would take home those pistachios for sure!

16. I know. I am sorry I don’t have some pistachios right now!

17. Poppy says:

I think when you visit any city you can really get a feel for local culture by visiting a market, the thing is this is an increasingly common perception amongst people visiting a lot of places and many cities are starting to have their markets turn more into tourist traps!

18. Completely agree. My favorite markets were in the small Northern Italy towns.

19. We loved Pike's Fish market too.  The fish throwing was so entertaining.  My kids were drawn to the bronzed pig =) This is a great selection of photos and souvenirs.   I like how there was so much variety inside the market and great restaurants with views too.  If only, it wasn't so crowded trying to get through.  The honey and pistachios look yummy!

20. Everyone was taking pictures with the bronzed pig! I do believe I have one too ;)

21.
    Congratulations on such a great blog!

I enjoy reading it so much I have selected you as a worthy recipient of The Versatile Blogger award.

Visit – http://lizzybradbury.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/versatile-blogger-award/

– to find out more.

Once again, thank you for adding value to the blogging community!

22. Thank you so much :)

23. Sarah says:

I dream of going to Seattle! Thank you for sharing, now I really can't wait to visit!
    I wanted to stop by and thank you for linking up last week on the Alexa hop, I would really love it if you would stop by and link up again this week! http://mooseandtater.com/2012/03/lower-your-alexa-alexahop/

24. Seattle was one of my favorite cities, I would definitely like to go back.
    Heading over the the Alexa hop…right now ;)

25. Goody says:

I love visiting local markets when I'm a new place as it's the best way to know more about traditions, culture and all the unknow aspect of that place! I love the shots in this post! Mu favoutite one is that on the hats!! Amazing!!

26. I’m a HUGE foodie, so I definitely try to visit all the food markets, but was surprised to find all the other goodies at Pikes!

27. LInda says:

Love those guitar shirts too… do you know the vendors name, as I really wanted to purchase, but didn’t and now want to purchase. Thanks

28. Oh boy, I wish I knew! I tried to Google and came up empty. Let me know if you find out who the vendor is so I can add it to the post. Best of luck :)

Trackbacks For This Post

1. Starting a Grunge Band in Seattle | Bucket List Journey
  2. A Contribution to Seattle’s Gum Wall | Bucket List Journey
  3. A Contribution to Seattle's Gum Wall | Bucket List Journeys
  4. Duck Gizzards & Beef Tongue in Seattle | Bucket List Journey
  5. Ugli Fruit. It Has a Good Personality. | Bucket List Journey
  6. Ugli Fruit. It Has a Good Personality. | Bucket List Journeys
  7. Piroshkys and the Original Starbucks in Seattle Washington | Bucket List Journey
  8. A Contribution to the Seattle Gum Wall in Washington