Chill in a Las Vegas Ice Bar

las vegas ice barI am always cold. It’s a fact. If you are wearing a short sleeve shirt than I am wearing a sweater and if you have a sweater on then I will definitely be sporting a jacket and scarf. I couldn’t even imagine what I would have to put on in order to have drinks at a Las Vegas ice bar, but I was sure it would be something that would make me walk like a penguin. Fitting.

We were greeted at the Las Vegas Ice Bar in Mandalay by attractive girls wearing furry animal hats, apparantly the latest winter trend. They fitted us with thick parkas, gloves and boots. I was actually warm. I was still standing in the lobby.

The cost of admission, $35 per person, included two drinks. So, the first stop was the bar, where I ordered some fruity chick drink. I didn’t think my drink of choice, red wine, would be a wise selection considering the glasses were made of ice.

Everything at this Las Vegas ice bar is made of ice; the bar, the chairs and even the glasses.

I couldn’t help but wonder how this bartender could stand to work in the frigid air for more than a 20 minute stretch. But, he looked equipped. Better so than me.
bartender at las vegas ice barice glass at ice bar

We found a cozy seat covered with hide to take a little edge off the bitter cold. My butt was still frozen. But, that was nothing compared to the icicles that took over where my fingers used to be. I probably should have paid the extra twenty bucks for the fur coat and ski gloves.

I lasted a good half hour inside the Las Vegas ice bar, enough time to thoroughly chill, down a drink and take the obligatory photo (which they charge 20 bucks a pop for…ouch!).
Annette White at Las Vegas Ice Bar

It took a good amount of time to defrost after exiting the ice chamber. Much thanks to the owners for intelligently placing the blazing fire on our way out. The last time I remember being that cold was when we spent the evening curling at the local ice skating rink.

I’m not sure how I would possibly survive in Antarctica. But, it’s still on the Bucket List.

Have you ever been to a Las Vegas ice bar? What’s the coldest you have ever been?

2017-03-11T19:07:07+00:00 December 5th, 2011|Categories: FOOD, Nevada, North America, TRAVEL|Tags: , |

1. 50+ and on the Run December 5, 2011 at 8:32 am - Reply

Who would have guessed it would have been cold in an ice bar?  Seriously, it looks like fun, though.  I am only 23 days from my Antarctica trip and gettin a little nervous about the cold–it dipped into the 40s here and I was freezing. Uh-oh.

• Annette White December 5, 2011 at 8:40 am - Reply

Wow! Antartica! I hope you plan on writing all about it 🙂

2. Simply Paul December 5, 2011 at 9:07 am - Reply

They are centainly charging you well for the privellage of this unique man made experience. Although I did spend 7 years working for a frozen food company spending most of working day at sub zero temperatures, I think I'd now begrudge paying someone instead of being paid for the experience.

• Annette White December 5, 2011 at 12:02 pm - Reply

I know right! It was very pricey, but I’m happy I did it.
      I’m pretty sure I could never work at a frozen food company. Brrrr……

3. michele December 5, 2011 at 1:49 pm - Reply

wow, that sounds like such a fun (albeit tad expensive) experience.  The things they have in las vegas.  I have yet to go there, that is going on my list.

• Annette White December 5, 2011 at 2:19 pm - Reply

It was so much fun! I can almost never pass up a new experience, even when it hurts the pocketbook a little.
      Vegas is an amazing place and I hope you get to go there 🙂

4. Krista December 6, 2011 at 3:42 am - Reply

I haven't been to one, but I looked in the door once! 🙂 The coldest I've ever been was in Northern Michigan when it was minus 70 degrees. 🙂

5. Andi of My Beautiful Adventures December 6, 2011 at 7:01 am - Reply

What a fun experience! I went to one in Iceland, but didn't stay too long because I couldn't handle the cold haha.

• Annette White December 6, 2011 at 8:00 am - Reply

Next time I’m for sure springing for the ear muffs 🙂

6. Carola December 6, 2011 at 1:12 pm - Reply

Wow that seems cold.  I can't imagine they have many regular customers.  it seems more like a touristy place; sort of pricey too.  It's a good bucket list experience.  I live in New England and it get's pretty cold sometimes, several degrees below zero.

• Annette White December 6, 2011 at 2:23 pm - Reply

I wish I would have asked if they had ANY regular customers! I can’t imagine that many!

7. CeCe December 6, 2011 at 9:51 pm - Reply

I did this in New Zealand, and it was more than half the price and we got to take pictures!  I can't believe they charged you $20 for a picture…if you pay $35 to enter a bar it should be complimentary….welcome to Vegas!

• Annette White December 6, 2011 at 11:40 pm - Reply

I am always bummed when attractions don’t allow cameras and then charge you outrageous fees to purchase a photo! I agree that the price should be all inclusive.

8. kristina December 15, 2011 at 2:17 pm - Reply

well i lived in wisconsin for a year so i beat you on the cold front haha! but seriously, this ice bar looks way cool!!! cute pic too 😉
    xx ~ k

• Annette White December 15, 2011 at 5:27 pm - Reply

I bet the chill of the ice bar has nothing on Wisconsin!

9. Corinne @ Gourmantic December 18, 2011 at 8:36 pm - Reply

We had a Minus5Bar in Sydney that was a lot of fun but they let you take as many photos as you like. The only additional cost was for more drinks, but they were reasonably priced. Such a fun concept!

• Annette White December 19, 2011 at 9:20 am - Reply

It is a great concept, much better with FREE photos!

10. […] Have Drinks at an Ice bar […]

11. Emelina Minero January 16, 2012 at 10:15 pm - Reply

I was talking to some of my friends today while eating out, and they told me that there is an ice bar in Petaluma! They said that there are 7 in the world & one is in Petaluma! How strange, yet cool. That is definitely going on my bucket list of things to do super super soon. 🙂

• Annette White January 17, 2012 at 8:20 am - Reply

I’m wondering if they are talking about the Vodka bar at Grazianos. I haven’t been there…yet!

12. Kelli Anne February 22, 2012 at 9:43 am - Reply

I went there for my 21st birthday! It is so much fun!! I did a shot in the ice chair and everything!! What a great time!

• Annette White February 22, 2012 at 5:19 pm - Reply

I didn’t even know you could do shots in the ice chair! I guess I’ll have to go back 🙂

13. Lawrence Michaels July 11, 2012 at 8:32 am - Reply

That bar looks really cool (no pun intended), we have a similar one here in Phuket called Ice Bar I think. It is much smaller than the one in your photos, but I'm sure it's equally refreshing to pop in on a hot day.

• Annette | Bucket List Journey July 11, 2012 at 11:44 am - Reply

I am currently planning a trip to Thailand (Phuket and Chiang Mai) and will have to check out the Ice Bar there. It would be interesting to see the similarities and differences.

14. […] Have Drinks at an Ice bar […]

15. […] could have easily lived there. But, not so easily afforded it. We did leave the room long enough to chill at the Minus5 ice bar, make "friends" at Madame Tussauds and be dazzled by Cirque du Soleil Ka. My only […]

16. […] 365 Thought Provoking Questions. Answered.→ ←Chillin’ at the Minus5 Ice Bar in Las Vegas […]

17. Animal Hoods January 3, 2013 at 5:19 pm - Reply

Thank you for sharing this very nice post, please keep continue the sharing of this types of information. Here we are waiting for more

18. […] I often pick 10-20 items and put deadlines of one week, one month or one year to each. photo: drinking at an ice bar […]

19. […] I often pick 10-20 items and put deadlines of one week, one month or one year to each. photo: drinking at an ice bar […]

20. Kerry July 8, 2014 at 10:35 pm - Reply

I have heard of ice hotels and I guess they probably have bars in them, like all other hotels, but this is Vegas through and through. I am not surprised. Well, I am from Canada so I know cold, but this is a strange concept to me still. I could go out and have a few drinks outside any winter day, but something for your bucket list for sure.

• Annette White July 9, 2014 at 4:37 pm - Reply

So true for those of you that live in snowy weather. I live in Northern California, so a whole room filled with ice seems cool to me (no pun intended).

21. Kerry July 9, 2014 at 7:47 pm - Reply

I wish I had seen this earlier. My parents just got back tonight and they were telling us how hot Vegas was when they were there a few days ago. I told them about reading about this place here on your blog and they sounded interested. Sounds like they could have used it. 🙂 And I love a good pun. 😉

22. Sami D February 18, 2015 at 2:51 pm - Reply

I just did this in Orlando, Florida for Valentine’s Day! I forgot that you had also checked this item off. It was pretty awesome, but very cold and so expensive! That’s pretty much the only thing I read in yours, too! It looks like you guys had fun though. 🙂

Yours might be bigger. I don’t know why they charge so much for a small freezer. Hahah. The experience was so worth it though.

• Annette White February 18, 2015 at 3:02 pm - Reply

It was pricey, but I couldn’t resist doing it once. I probably won’t fork over the cash again to freeze my face, unless it’s at an ice hotel 🙂

23. […] read about an ice bar experience in a Vegas hotel a few years back.  I knew whenever I went, I was going to track it down and go […]

24. […] The minus5° Ice Bar at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas has got to be one of the coolest places in the desert, no pun intended. minus5° has four locations in the United States that include the two locations in Las Vegas (Mandalay Bay and Monte Carlo), Orlando, and New York City. I decided to add the ice bar to my bucket list after reading Annette’s post from Bucket List Journey which you can read here. […]

25. Angela Williams September 21, 2016 at 3:16 pm - Reply

Thanks for the amazing read, as always, Annette. I’m originally from Florida, living in Arizona, so I totally get always being cold. Your post inspired me to visit the bar myself and I had a grand time!

• Annette White September 21, 2016 at 3:45 pm - Reply

So happy to hear that you went to an ice bar (and loved your story about it)! Next stop: an ice hotel 🙂

26. […] The minus5° Ice Bar at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas has got to be one of the coolest places in the desert, no pun intended. minus5° has four locations in the United States that include the two locations in Las Vegas (Mandalay Bay and Monte Carlo), Orlando, and New York City. I decided to add the ice bar to my bucket list after reading Annette’s post from Bucket List Journey which you can read here. […]