Eat A Pig Ear at Plate Shop Restaurant in California

Apparently, eating dog treats is something that appealed to me so much that I had to make a special trip to Plate Shop in Sausalito just so I could have one. Regular, store bought kibble would just not do, I needed something that was actually prepared for humans. Eating a Pig ear would fit the bill.  I can’t be the only one who seeks out restaurants who serve strange food…can I?

Plate Shop’s decor and smallwares exude trendiness, from the antique-inspired drop lighting to the steel napkin rings to the exposed concrete walls.
plate shop restaurant interior

I couldn’t resist starting my meal with the “Non Offensive” $6 red wine. And it was, well, non offensive.
plate shop wine menu

Peter and I decided to share two different meals in order to maximize my strange food pleasure. Isn’t that one of the best perks to being married? We started with the smoked sea urchin risotto with sea beans. The beautifully colored urchin had hopes of tasting good, but I couldn’t get past the mushy texture, which was way to similar to the lambs brain we had eaten for our anniversary. Mix that with the fishy taste and it was chalked up as “one more weird food that Pete would have to finish”.

We also ordered the Pigs Roast, that featured an array of piggy parts and. of course, a single pig ear. The pig parts were more distinct than the deep-fried Scrapple we had eaten at Tyler Florences.
sea urchin risottopretty pig ear

After wolfing down the sea urchin, Peter eats all the goodies around the pig ear, saving it for last. Don’t let that fool you, he loves it when I force him to eat bizarre things. Really. Look at the smile on his face. Or maybe he just tolerates it.

It was chewy, this ear, and had the flavor of pork rinds. Non offensive too. I could see why dogs love them.
pig ear on a plateAnnette White eats a pig eareating a pig ear

The D44 Dessert: Chocolate, banana, peanut butter and curry. It was really yummy, even though I don’t care for my food being served deconstructed. I’m lazy. I don’t want to have to dress it, toss it, combine it or spend a lot of time cutting it up into bite size pieces in order to eat it.
D44 dessert at plate shop

If you have to give me a pricey bill, then this is the way to do it, with a side of the tastiest caramel popcorn.
bill at plate shop

Have you ever eaten a pig ear, urchin or sea beans? Would you?

Discover more of the best foods in the world

2017-04-28T16:49:24+00:00 Categories: FOOD, QUIRKY|Tags: , , |

1. Stefanie October 17, 2011 at 7:25 pm - Reply

I have never eaten any of that, but the ear actually sounds pretty good. If it tastes like pork rinds, sign me up!

2. Carola October 18, 2011 at 7:51 am - Reply

I've never eaten any of that.  In Dominican Republic, where I grew up, pigs' ears are popular.  They also eat cow's tongue, tail, and tripe, pigs' and chicken's feet, and Morcila which is basically a pigs' blood sausage (excuse me while I throw up).  I have no plans of eating any of it.  Thumbs up to you for being so adventurous.

• Annette Renee White October 18, 2011 at 9:13 am - Reply

Ha Ha! It’s definitely not for everyone. I am a little worried when it comes to having to try blood sausage!

3. Jenna Vandenberg October 18, 2011 at 10:08 pm - Reply

The food looks horrible and the pictures look great! Although reading your blog does make me want to expand my culinary horizons 🙂

4. Simply Paul October 21, 2011 at 2:43 am - Reply

You're not the only one, I love strange foods. I took my first step on this journey with snails and now looking at you for inspiration on more things to try. Pigs ears are good. But I may go for the trotter first in memory of my Gran who used to eat them (not sure how though)

• Annette Renee White October 21, 2011 at 3:11 pm - Reply

I love the fact that you want to eat trotter in memory of your Gran. Mine used to eat tripe all the time, maybe that’s the thing I should try next!

5. Claire @ Two4Travel October 24, 2011 at 9:41 pm - Reply

Not sure if I could ever expand my horizons enough to try pigs ear. But good for you! 🙂 The strangest food I've eaten was a green tree ant in the Australian Daintree Rainforest. It was very tasty!

• Annette Renee White October 24, 2011 at 10:33 pm - Reply

If you can eat a green tree ant, I’m sure you could choke down a little pigs ear 😉

6. Jade October 25, 2011 at 1:48 pm - Reply

I can't say I've ever tried pigs ear… but I would! I love trying new things too- especially if the texture is different from my normal foods!

7. Renee October 26, 2011 at 8:23 am - Reply

I've always said that there is nothing sacred on a pig.  I know people who eat pig ears, pig tails, pig guts (chitterlings), pig feet, pig knuckles and everything in between.  I will never forget seeing a humongous hog's head smiling back at me in the meat display at the local grocery store.  Yuck!

• Annette Renee White October 26, 2011 at 6:08 pm - Reply

They definitely use all the parts of the pig, nothing really goes to waste. But, I don’t want to see the head at a grocery store either!

8. […] Starter on the menu and I looked no further. It was a part of the pig I hadn't eaten yet. Piggy ears and pork cheeks…Yes. Tails…very […]

9. […] go to waste. This includes, but is definitely not limited to, tails, feet, tongue, offal & ears. When inquiring the server about its contents she simply said, "it is all the animal parts […]

10. […] better than the haggling. In between writing, I got hungry and couldn't resist a trip to Plate Shop for a pigs ear. A little […]

11. Hyo February 21, 2013 at 4:12 am - Reply

So cooool

12. […] Starter on the menu and I looked no further. It was a part of the pig I hadn't eaten yet. Piggy ears and pork cheeks…Yes. Pigs tails? Very […]